In order to make sure you are getting a nice used car here are the top 10 things to look for:
- Does the car have a clean Carfax? Ask your dealer to proved one for you.
- How many owners has the car had? If a late model car has had several owners there probably is a reason multiple customers got rid of it!
- Did the dealer do any reconditioning? Ask them to provide the work that was completed.
- Drive it! Don’t just spin around the lot. Drive the car the same way you will every day. If you usually drive the highway, get on the highway. Make sure you will enjoy your daily commute.
- Check the price of a new car. Maybe you can get a new car for just a little more than a used.
- Look the paint over good! Mismatched paint or defects in the paint can show previous body damage. Carfax isn’t always right.
- Warranty….does the car have a warranty? If not, make sure to purchase one from the dealer’s Finance Manager.
- Check the rates. Dealer’s have good buying power with banks nationwide. Let them shop for you. If you are wanting the best deal on a car, why not get the best deal on the money too!
- Check Consumer Reports, just because the car looks pretty and drives good doesn’t mean it’ll last. Get opinions on what car to look at and avoid.
- Surf before you shop. The Internet is very competitive for car dealers. Make sure you check out sites like Cars.com and Autotrader.com to see if your dealer is priced competitively.